Friday, September 3, 2010

dang tramps

The 'tramp'oline has really got the best of our family this summer.
First my sweet little niece Claire broke her arm on their new trampoline which was so sad, then I heard that another relative of my husband's son broke his arm doing a flip off the trampoline, and now it seems to have gotten the best of our little monkey!
We were enjoying a Friday evening outside and it seemed the kids were starting to get a little loud and crazy ~ if you can imagine that ~ so I asked them to settle down. The next thing I knew Ryland was crying and didn't stop for what seemed like forever. That and the fact that he couldn't walk on his leg is how I knew something wasn't right. He complained that he heard a cracking noise when he came down on his knee. Ouch!! I am not sure if he was double bounced or what but it ended up being a very sad and very long night.
The urgent care visit before closing was a complete waste of time and so Joe took him to the ER first thing in the morning. They took x-rays and were able to half splint half cast his leg which really seemed to help him but they weren't quite able to determine the extent of the problem. They referred us to an orthopedic surgeon but being that it was a long weekend we couldnt get him in until that next wed.
The Dr that we saw did not seem too concerned as Ryland let him maneuver his leg/knee but the fact that he still wouldn't walk on it earned him a full leg cast for the next 2 weeks.
He had done really well scootin' himself around the house in the splint but by the next day in the cast he was up and walking (more like hobbling) on it. I take him back in to be re-evaluated on the 22nd and I really hope that it will be fine by then. They have mentioned things like a possible injury to his growth plate and that frightens me a bit.
He has been quite a trooper!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems to me- As I can recall a "more on" doing a back flip on the trampoline -but when he came down he was off the trampoline and his head was jammed between the springs. As far as I know, that was his last back flip.

maghjkuyt
the "ghjkuy" is silent